These aren’t from A&G—I picked them up in the cobweb-covered corners of Lewis and Short. Enjoy!
- iam tandem paene inter manūs est: at last, it’s finally within reach!
- inter viam eō: I’m on the way!
- Haec Toddī inter cēnam rettūlī: I reported these things to Todd at dinner.
- inter initia architectī gestōrum saepe inter sē distulērunt: during the start-up phase, the founders of the company often quarreled amongst themselves
- inter hās turbās senātus tamen convēnit: despite these upheavals, the senate convened (inter + accusative… tamen)
Occasionally, words are taken together and presented as such within a Latin edition of the text; this is especially frequent with the older poets and comedians.
- ūnusquisque (ūnus quisque) every single one
- sīquis (sī quis) if anyone
- quārē (quā rē) therefore
- quamobrem (quam ob rem) on account of which
- rēspūblica (rēs pūblica) republic
- iūsiūrandum (iūs iūrandum) oath
- paterfamiliās (pater familiās) head of family
Sometimes, this slurring will alter spoken pronunciation.
- homōst (homō est) it’s a man
- perīculumst (perīculum est) danger (Will Robinson)!
- ausust (ausus est) there’s a hazard
- quālist (quālis est) as it is
- vīn’ (vīsne) don’t you see?
- scīn’ (scīsne) don’t you know?
- sīs (sī vīs) if you want
- sōdēs (sī audēs) if you don’t mind
- sūltis (sī vultis) if you want
The Essential AG: 13, 13n